The Nassau Club - Princeton, NJ
Founded in 1889 by a consortium of men representing Princeton's "town & gown,", including Woodrow Wilson, the Nassau Club of Princeton is a social club providing its members and guests a quiet sanctuary and relief from the hustle of modern life. The establishment of The Nassau Club evolved from a meeting convened by sixteen men on April 21, 1889 at the University Hall of the College of New Jersey, as Princeton University was then known. The original group, equally divided between townsmen and members of the faculty of the College, was supplemented by others, all of whom agreed that a men's club in Princeton would provide desirable dining and social facilities for resident and non-resident members. Originally built as a house in 1814, this three story building, containing 16,696 square feet of above-grade area, is currently being utilized as a private club and guest room facility known as The Nassau Club. The basement is partially finished with the Grill room, lounge, President’s room, Wine room, Gun room, break room, liquor room, offices, storage, employee lockers, two restrooms, coat room, and electrical room. The entire first floor, containing approximately 7,400 square feet, is utilized as the eating establishment and meeting area. This area contains a full commercial kitchen with a dumb waiter. The twenty-one guestrooms are located on the second and third floors, ranging from suites with a sitting area and private bathroom to single bedrooms, ranging in size from approximately 120 square feet to 400 square feet. There are nine restrooms in the common and employee areas. The subject building used to have gas-fired boiler heat distributed through radiators, but the boiler has been removed and the radiators are now unused.